In this episode, I talk with Karrie Fransman and Jonathon Plackett about their books, Gender Swapped Fairy Tales and Gender Swapped Greek Myths.
Fairytales and Greek Myths have been told and re-told for thousands of years, but never like this. Taking these well-known stories that form the archetypes we still see today, Karrie and Jonathon make one vital change - they swapped all the genders. This simple change created characters and stories never seen before, and shine a light on the gender binaries in language, the roles we adopt and the stories we've been telling our children for generations.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Where the inspiration for this idea came from
- The binary-busting characters and worlds these books create
- How these stories illuminate existing power imbalances
- The books’ importance, especially for boys and men with the lack of empathetic and nurturing male figures in mainstream narratives
- An urgent call to action for creators to make more stories like this!
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Transcription is available here
Buy the books:
Mentioned in the episode:
Join the storytellers:
...and help elevate woman’s story to our main narrative!
Subscribe to the newsletter
- Subscribe, rate and review on iTunes, apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts
- Share with a friend, colleague or family member
- Become a Patreon for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
- Check out The Story of Woman bookstore filled with 100's of books like this one. Any books purchased through the website links support this podcast AND local bookstores!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? I’d love to hear from you!