In this episode, I talk with Virginia Mendez about her book, Childhood Unlimited: Parenting Beyond the Gender Bias
From films and books to toys and clothes to the language we use, our world is extremely gendered, making raising a child beyond the limitations placed on them by gender incredibly difficult. Virginia breaks down what gender bias is, how the stereotypes we absorb from the earliest days perpetuate it, and what can be done to raise kids beyond these limitations.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Stereotypes, and how films, books, toys and clothes perpetuate the gender bias
- The importance of simply being aware
- Examples of how Virginia raises her two children
- Why it all matters - for girls, boys, trans kids and society as a whole
- Small steps to start overcoming the bias today
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Transcription is available here
Mentioned in the episode:
Join the storytellers:
...and help elevate woman’s story to our main narrative!
Subscribe to the newsletter
- Subscribe, rate and review on iTunes, apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts
- Share with a friend, colleague or family member
- Become a Patreon for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
- Check out The Story of Woman bookstore filled with 100's of books like this one. Any books purchased through the website links support this podcast AND local bookstores!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? I’d love to hear from you!