In this episode, I talk with Carole Joffe and David S. Cohen about their book, Obstacle Course: The Everyday Struggle to Get an Abortion in America
From forced ultrasounds and dishonest medical information to arbitrary waiting periods and harassing protesters, Carole and David tell the story of abortion in America, capturing a disturbing reality of insurmountable barriers people face when trying to exercise their legal rights to medical services.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Basic facts about abortion - public sentiment, demographics, prevalence, safety, how long it has been around (quick answers: supportive, majority impoverished and / or parents, incredibly common, 28x safer than lipsuction, forever)
- What some of these (irrational and unscientific) obstacles are and where they come from
- How Crisis Pregnancy Centres (aka fake abortion clinics) have more legal rights than real abortion clinics
- Falsehoods surrounding “later abortions” and what the reality is
- What happens to women and pregnant people that are not able to get the abortions they want
- The future and we talk about what we can do as individuals
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Transcription is available here
Join the storytellers:
...and help elevate woman’s story to our main narrative!
Subscribe to the newsletter
- Subscribe, rate and review on iTunes, apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts
- Share with a friend, colleague or family member
- Become a Patreon for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
- Check out The Story of Woman bookstore filled with 100's of books like this one. Any books purchased through the website links support this podcast AND local bookstores!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? I’d love to hear from you!